Assistant Controller Position Summary
With a client service focus, the Assistant Controller provides accounting, analytical, operational, and investment analysis integral to the successful management of various assets/portfolios. The Assistant Controller is a key function that adds to the Organization’s ability to provide excellent client services to investors, management, and other functional areas of the Organization.
Qualifications and Required Experience for Assistant Controller:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and a minimum 5 years of experience in the real estate industry.
- Property accounting experience required. CPA, MBA, or Masters of Science in Accountancy required.
- Possess and be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge of accounting and financial concepts.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Exhibit leadership skills such as accountability and the ability to guide and orient others.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Adapt to changes in the work environment; manage competing demands; change approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Work independently while achieving team goals.
- Experience managing multiple projects.
- Team player with a “can-do” attitude that can work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with real estate accounting software (Yardi, MRI) is preferred.
- Duties require sitting in a chair for long periods of time while performing work on a computer.
Primary Responsibilities for Assistant Controller:
- Review and analyze financial statements in accordance with GAAP, cash or other comprehensive basis of accounting as pertains to the senior living industry for 25+ properties.
- Manage and supervise the accounting team.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Review and analyze quarterly reforecast, monthly cash flow projections, and financial reports.
- Partner with Operations to review and analyze property budgets annually.
- Oversee the management of asset/portfolio capital reserves, assets, and expenditures by monitoring revenue, expenses, payables, receivables, and capital expenditures.
- Analyze and advise on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments, and future revenues.
- Understand and navigate complex financing agreements and investment structures for preparation of financial analysis to monitor and report on the performance of the asset/portfolio using Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and financing covenants.
- Develop various ad hoc financial models and analysis integral to the asset/portfolio cash flow management, financing, operations, and investor relations.
- Oversee the generation of annual work papers and support schedules for outside CPA firm for year-end tax returns, audits and financial statements.
- Recommend improvements to the Organization's accounting function to further enhance both internal and external client relations and write policies and procedures for the department.